Development & Legal Counsel – Family Justice Law Center
FJLC seeks a Development & Legal Counsel to help grow the organization’s fundraising program and implement comprehensive development efforts across individual and institutional giving. The position will include legal tasks, such as assisting with litigation efforts and internal governance issues.
As a new public-interest organization, FJLC has already generated substantial momentum in fundraising as a fiscally sponsored entity in the Urban Justice Center’s Social Justice Accelerator program. FJLC now seeks a Development & Legal Counsel to help grow the organization’s fundraising program by implementing comprehensive development efforts across individual and institutional giving. The ideal candidate will be excited and motivated to be involved in all aspects of development, from donor relations to grant management, to proposal drafting, to gift processing; willing to take initiative and share new ideas; and able to learn and pivot easily.
The position will report to the Executive Director of FJLC.
- Track gifts, donor data, and cultivation/stewardship activities to enhance relationships and increase the likelihood of continued and expanded giving.
- Support grant solicitation and management by drafting proposals, developing relationships with grant officers, and creating required reports.
- Coordinate stewardship outreach by senior staff to ensure FJLC supporters are recognized appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Contribute to donor stewardship efforts, including emails, calls, and written notes.
- Identify and qualify prospective donors, both individual and institutional.
- Support the execution of e-mail and social media appeals, including content creation, audience segmentation, and performance reports.
- Coordinate planning events and donor visits to create opportunities for engagement.
- Support the Executive Director for special projects and events as they are identified.
- Assist FJLC with litigation and internal governance issues.
Skills and Qualifications:
- D. degree.
- Must be a member of the New York Bar or take immediate steps to apply for membership (either through examination or reciprocity) after accepting the position.
- At least two years working at another non-profit organization.
- Organizational and project management skills, with proven success independently completing assignments with competing deadlines.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Superb analytic, research, and writing skills.
- Commitment to helping to build a new civil rights organization.
- Familiarity with family defense rights is strongly preferred; commitment to the integrity and preservation of families struggling with poverty and racial injustice is essential.
- Past experience handling confidential information.
New York City.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Full-time; six-month contract.
Salary and Benefits
The salary will have a range of $35,000 – $40,000, prorated to the length of the contract. Benefits include 401(k) match, exceptional medical and dental insurance, paid vacation days, paid personal days, paid sick days, paid holidays, and an additional paid week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
This salary range is reflective of a position based in New York, NY. The salary will be subject to a locality adjustment (according to the specific city and state).
Applicants should submit the following documents:
- Brief statement (in a cover letter or otherwise) explaining the applicant’s interest in the position;
- List of at least two references, including contact information;
- A legal writing sample of any length representing a significant advocacy challenge. Please do not send an excerpt. The applicant should be the primary author and the work should not have been significantly revised by someone else.
Please submit your application materials in a single electronic file to email@example.com with the subject line “Development & Legal Counsel Application – [Name].”
About the Family Justice Law Center
The Family Justice Law Center, a part of the Urban Justice Center’s Social Justice Accelerator program, will use affirmative litigation to seek justice for families mistreated by the child welfare system, frequently referred to as the family regulation system. It will challenge systemic abuses of government power that lead to the illegal separation of children from their families. It will seek redress for harms, while promoting change to help families survive and thrive.
The Family Justice Law Center launched in March 2022.
To learn more visit www.fjlc.org.
The Family Justice Law Center, a part of the Urban Justice Center, is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status, record of arrest or conviction or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Please note that the Urban Justice Center requires all employees to submit proof of vaccination against COVID as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by law. As part of the onboarding process, new hires will be asked to submit proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
We welcome your questions and comments
Main Office40 Rector Street, 9th Fl
New York, NY 10006