Litigation Director – Family Justice Law Center of the Urban Justice Center
The Family Justice Law Center (FJLC), a part of the Urban Justice Center, seeks applicants for the full-time position of Litigation Director. FJLC is located in the Urban Justice Center’s office in New York, NY, but, at this time, most work may be done remotely. The Litigation Director will be responsible primarily for leading FJLC’s litigation efforts and will report directly to the Executive Director of FJLC.
The Urban Justice Center serves New York City’s most vulnerable residents through a combination of direct legal service, systemic advocacy, community education and political organizing. We assist our clients on numerous levels, from one-on-one legal advice in soup kitchens, to helping individuals access housing and government assistance, to filing class action lawsuits to bring about systemic change.
Visit www.urbanjustice.org for more information about UJC and our work.
- Managing all aspects of FJLC’s complex litigation in federal and state courts, including developing cases, developing and managing complex investigations, counseling and working with clients, drafting pleadings and briefs, conducting discovery, handling hearings and trials, and arguing motions and appeals.
- Developing and implementing new litigation strategies for protecting families’ rights.
- Obtaining and managing pro bono partnerships, including with law firms and public interest organizations.
- Managing staff attorneys, including supervising and mentoring junior lawyers.
- Traveling as required for litigation and related activities.
- Speaking about the work of FJLC to diverse audiences.
- Engaging in special projects and other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Collaborating with other public-interest organizations on projects of mutual concern.
- A commitment to the mission of FJLC.
Experience & Qualifications
- J.D. degree.
- Must be a member of the New York Bar or take immediate steps to apply for membership (either through examination or reciprocity) after accepting the position.
- Significant experience in federal court civil rights litigation.
- Superb analytic, research, and writing skills.
- Experience mentoring junior lawyers.
- Commitment to helping to build a new civil rights organization.
- Familiarity with family defense rights is preferred; commitment to the integrity and preservation of families struggling with poverty and racial injustice is essential.
- Federal court clerkship is strongly preferred.
Applicants should submit the following documents:
- Brief statement (in a cover letter or otherwise) explaining the applicant’s interest in the position;
- List of references, including contact information;
- A recent legal writing sample of any length representing a significant advocacy challenge. Please do not send an excerpt. The applicant should be the primary author and the work should not have been significantly revised by someone else.
Please submit your application materials in a single electronic file to email@example.com with the subject line “Litigation Director Application – [Name].”
New York, NY Deadline Date Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include 401(k) match, exceptional medical and dental insurance, 20 paid vacation days, 5 paid personal days, 12 paid sick days, 11 paid holidays, and an additional paid week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
About the Family Justice Law Center
The Family Justice Law Center, a part of the Urban Justice Center’s Social Justice Accelerator program, will use affirmative litigation to seek justice for families mistreated by the child welfare system, frequently referred to as the family regulation system. It will challenge systemic abuses of government power that lead to the illegal separation of children from their families. It will seek redress for harms, while promoting change to help families survive and thrive.
The Family Justice Law Center, a part of the Urban Justice Center, is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status, record of arrest or conviction or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Please note that the Urban Justice Center requires all employees to submit proof of vaccination against COVID as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by law. As part of the onboarding process, new hires will be asked to submit proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
We welcome your questions and comments
Main Office40 Rector Street, 9th Fl
New York, NY 10006