FPP consists of the following program areas:
Information – Provide credible and accessible information that illuminates the immense impact of NYC’s child welfare system as well as concrete examples of solutions so that advocates, journalists and public officials have more tools for understanding and improving NYC family policy.
Research – Vision and develop research protocols that seek to identify and understand how to deliver the resources most needed by parents to secure their families’ health.
Policy Analysis – Publish timely informational policy papers and analyses.
Place-based analysis and community policymaking – Child welfare in NYC is highly localized to a few communities, and some solutions need to be hyper-local and involve parents, youth and key community members with deep community ties.
Collective efforts to generate the ideas needed to re-envision NYC family policy – Bring together researchers, policymakers, people with lived expertise and community leaders through roundtables, workgroups, position papers, community arts and performance events and other forums in order to work toward a city without a considerable regulatory child welfare system. Specifically, we will:
- Affirmatively build principles and practices of a “Family Development Field”;
- Support the capacity of people impacted as policymakers;
- Build stronger community for researchers on child welfare across disciplines;
- Connect researchers and policymakers with those working on the ground;
- Co-develop language and norms around community health with community members that will replace the pathology-based language around families currently used throughout child welfare- impacted neighborhoods.
We acknowledge that before we look ahead to what comes next for New York City’s families who have experienced extensive disinvestment, we must take an accounting of the harm done to families and communities and will seek to understand how families believe the systems responsible for that harm should be held to account.
We welcome your questions and comments
Main Office40 Rector Street, 9th Fl
New York, NY 10006