The application period for the next cohort of the Social Justice Accelerator is now closed. Accepted programs will be announced in early 2024.
The SJA is designed to shepherd new and early-stage social justice leaders through the challenges of developing a well-functioning operation, by bringing them into the UJC community, where they will be mentored by expert leaders in the nonprofit and entrepreneurial fields. Over the course of two years, the SJA provides up to five individuals with the support and resources to turn their vision for social change into a reality.
What the SJA provides:
- $25K in Seed Funding
- Fiscal Sponsorship: UJC provides fiscal sponsorship for initiatives that are not yet separately incorporated and/or do not have their 501c3 status.
- Back Office Support: Assistance with accounting, finance, payroll, and benefits.
- Organizational Development Support: Coaching and training to help you build, test, and launch your initiative.
- Extensive Network: Expert guidance from UJC’s extensive network of mentors, consultants, and colleagues, as well as connections to external advisors and potential partners.
- Community: Access to a wider ecosystem of social impact organizations, and the opportunity for collaboration with UJC’s other awardees and anchor projects.
- Space to Work: Free office space in UJC’s downtown Manhattan office, including access to free printing, faxing, postage, office supplies, and conference rooms.
Our current cohort are tackling some of today’s most urgent issues, from mass incarceration, to interpersonal violence, to family separations, to anti-racist organizing. After their first year in the SJA, this cohort has already wracked up impressive wins: helping hundreds of clients, securing millions in future funding, publishing important articles and research reports, and beginning groundbreaking impact legislation. Read all about their successes in our mid-program assessment report.
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, many nonprofits have had to scale back or close their doors entirely. Where others are pulling back and disbanding, UJC is surging forward.
“We’re in a real moment to address some of our country’s most pressing issues: racism, police brutality, climate change, healthcare access, vitriolic partisanship, extreme wealth disparities, and more. We’ve recruited bold leaders with vision and solutions to seemingly intractable problems.”
– Brooke Richie-Babbage, Director, Social Justice Accelerator
The SJA grows out of our decades-long history of incubating and supporting organizations that stand with marginalized communities, fight for inclusive communities, and push for transformative system-level change.
Watch the video below to find out more about the SJA, or scroll down to see the bios of key SJA staff, information on our recently graduated first SJA class of projects, and our SJA In Review report.